Wednesday 23 February 2011

Counting down the days

Including today, it's only five days until my surgery.

I went to the Pre-admission Clinic yesterday, and as suspected, it was a largely wasted trip. Not to mention having to wait over two hours after my appointment time to see the doctor for less than 10 minutes. He got to fill in his form though, so it wasn't a complete waste of time, I guess.

I also had a chest x-ray. This could have been done last week, when I went for the Anesthetic Clinic. Oh well, ask the patient to make two 4 hour round trips and wait around for hours so the hospital can tick a few boxes. I understand that there are procedures to ensure quality care, but it really does need to be better coordinated.

I also ran into my surgeon in the corridor. He confirmed the 28th and told me it would be in the afternoon.

I'm lucky to live in a country where we have free health-care, so I'm not complaining about that. A patient's agent might be the way to go. Someone who knows all the procedures, who can plan the ticking of the boxes with minimal intrusion into the patient's time. Do all the box ticking in one visit perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment